The Canary – care rules
They say that the birds singing is very beneficial for human health, like mental and physical. Perhaps that is why since ancient times people hold in their homes the feathered singers such as Canaries. Over the long history of domestication of these birds they have become undemanding Pets that are low maintenance and thrive even in cramped conditions. While they sing nearly all year round and breed well.
However, this does not mean that contain Canaries can be “hit and miss”. For comfortable existence of these birds in captivity still need to comply with certain requirements. Thus, the Canary – care “by the rules”.
The first rule. Addictive
Like any living creature, this bird-nevelichka have to get used to the new habitat (which will be your home). The adjustment period will last about two weeks, and depending on the temperament of your birds it will either miss you all the time, or obsessing. So try in this period not to disturb her, and place the cage in a quiet place with dim lighting and give her the opportunity to quietly settle into the new environment.
If you have purchased a pair (or more) birds, the male is placed in a separate cage and feathered “ladies” can be placed together. The bird’s cage set so that it couldn’t get children and Pets. Their curiosity is understandable and excusable, however, for the Canaries this premature familiarity can be a real shock. By the way, when choosing a place for the cage, keep in mind that these birds do not tolerate drafts.
The second rule. Accommodation
In fact the rule is rather to call first. Because first and foremost it is important to build a house for the Canaries: it needs to have certain dimensions, and be equipped with necessary equipment.
- The size and shape. The optimal cage size for such a small bird – 45 cm (height), 50 cm (width) and 25-20 cm (depth). Form cages for Canaries should be rectangular, without unnecessary frills and architectural delights. For Canaries perfect cell-the box where the rods or mesh are closed only one side, and the other three made of wood, Plexiglas, plastic or metal. Round cage for Canaries habitat is not suitable.
- Equipment and “furniture”. In the house your Canaries have to be drinkers and feeders. Feeders need three: for grain, for soft feed and mineral. The drinker is best to buy glass or plastic, which is attached to the outside of the cell. Perches in the cage should be at least two (both wooden, with a thickness of eight millimeters to fifteen centimeters). The Canary is also needed “bathing” in the form of small basins set on the floor of the cage or suspended from the rods.
Overall, all this be enough to make your songstress felt good in my new house. We need only add that the inventory of best buy with a cage, so they fit well to each other. And the floor of the cage (retractable tray) to fill thin layer of sand or lay a hygroscopic paper sheet, two or three times a week the cage should be cleaned.
The third rule. Food
It should be noted that when overfed birds prone to obesity (oddly enough). Of course, it looks a little different than in mammals, but the fact remains. So feed your a small bird needs every day by giving her one or two teaspoons of dry food. You can feed less through the day but feeds at the same time to give twice. Obesity in birds can arise from the quantity of food eaten and on its quality. Therefore, experts advise to include in the diet of Canaries following products.
- Grain feed. It is possible to buy ready-made (especially for Canaries), and it is possible to prepare a grain mixture alone: one part millet, lettuce and sunflower seeds, two parts Canary seed and four parts canola or bittercress. Also in this mix you can add flax seeds, burdock, plantain, poppies and wild grasses.
- Protein foods are especially important during moulting or breeding. As protein is necessary for the Canaries is fine low-fat cottage cheese or boiled egg. They need to give the birds about twice a week (but not often).
- The vegetables and fruits. This source of additional vitamins is enough to give two to three times a week. Canaries happy to eat apples, carrots, greens. They are sliced and inserted between the bars of the cage near the perch.
- Mineral supplements improves digestion and is a source of calcium. It is crushed egg shells, chalk, charcoal. You can also give the Canaries pills glycerophosphate or calcium gluconate. For normal digestion the birds also needed thoroughly washed river sand, which is poured into a separate trough. In addition to the mineral feeding the Canaries also give to defend mineral water.
In order for your bird would eat whatever she is given (not chose only tidbits) and not fattened, it is necessary to strictly observe the daily rate of food, slightly increasing it during the moulting period. Also remember about the high metabolism of small birds (a Canary and that is the small bird) and so ensure that the trough has always been with food. To change the grain feed and water in the cage you need in the morning. But if you give the bird soft food (porridge, boiled eggs, cottage cheese), then you should change it twice a day so it doesn’t precise.
The fourth rule. Health and health
By and large, although delicate, but quite unpretentious birds Canaries – the care of them burdensome. And yet, for the physiological condition of your Canaries need to follow. To check out her fatness, presence and intensity of the change of plumage do periodic checkups of the birds. To do this, gently take her hands, fixing the head, the index and middle fingers and flip belly up. Lightly blow on the area not covered with feathers (apteria). When moulting, this place will be visible stumps from fallen or brush the newly growing feathers. Here at the abdomen you can check the status of subcutaneous fat. During molting of birds lost during the rest closes apteria to half. If apteria completely closed fatty streaks, your bird began to “overweight”. In this case, reduce the amount of soft protein feed, preferring grain and greens.
For the well-being of a Canary is important to observe and light regime, which influences the volume of the song, readiness to breed, the duration of shedding. In winter, the length of daylight it is necessary to increase artificially, spilling him to fourteen hours, and in March – to sixteen. With mid-summer daylight shall begin to decrease.
Moulting Canaries lasts up to three months. At this time there is changes the body of a bird and she needs a stern rich in vitamins and minerals. Young birds change their plumage to a bright and brilliant adult plumage. Thus there is a partial molt. Adults moult completely. When a lighting mode, a Canary moults once a year. In more frequent molting or feather loss is necessary to transfer the bird on a short light day (nine hours).
As you can see, caring for Canaries much trouble does not deliver. So if you decided to make this a songbird, then do not be afraid of possible difficulties, but only observe the simple rules of care. But remember, the Canaries only the male sings (but the singing!). And another piece of advice-reminder. Singing Canaries before dawn. If you need a good alarm clock, the Canary will replace it perfectly. And if not – simply cover in the evening the cage with a blanket.