Guinea pigs: care and maintenance of pet
So, the day has come. The child grew and increasingly starts talking about pet. Whom to give preference? On cat hair Allergy, the dog needs constant attention…. Why not get a Guinea pig? They are so cute and funny, besides too much care does not need them. Solved – go for a Guinea pig! And of course don’t forget to bring the baby, because he must participate in the selection process.
Buying a pet
Remember, the animal is better to buy only in specialty pet stores. Only there will detail how to care for a Guinea pig and guarantee that it is completely healthy. Not worth the risk to buy a pet “owner” to the bird market or on Craigslist. Since these cute pet rodents have diseases that are dangerous and for people. So better safe than sorry.
The best age for buying 8 weeks. What gender you choose animal – is a purely personal matter. But if you decide to purchase just a couple, remember – males are very often fight for supremacy and can have real fights without rules. So they are seated in different cells, but females are more sociable with each other – they may be held by a few individuals in one cell.
Choose? Now carefully observe animals. A healthy Guinea pig mobile and curious. If you have some free time then wait for hours eating and see how the animal eats. Usually pigs eat food with great appetite and drink a lot of water. Take the pet in hand, feel, determine the fatness. Look at the coat – it should be smooth and shiny. There are two kinds of animals: with the long hair and short. At home easier to care for short-haired pigs.
How to keep a Guinea pig
Often the owners put a Guinea pig in a small glass aquarium. Is the content of pet is fundamentally wrong. Furry friend needs to live in a cage – free, with iron bars, strong doors and metal floors. Why metal? Don’t forget that Guinea pigs are rodents, and the house will become a tasty morsel. The content of your pet requires adherence to certain rules:
- On the floor, sprinkle shavings or sawdust. You can buy a special filler that can absorb unpleasant odors;
- The length of the cage should not be less than 50 centimeters;
- In the cage must be equipped with a drinker and two feeders;
- To care for a Guinea pig did not put you to inconvenience, put on the bottom of the cage with a plastic tray. So it will be easier to restore order;
- Along one of the walls set the hay feeder;
- Don’t forget to fix between the bars (somewhere in the area) a thick rope and a wheel, let the pig is sharpening its teeth;
- Guinea pigs can not tolerate drafts and sudden temperature changes and direct sunlight. So choose the place for the cells correctly, in accordance with these requirements.
What and how to feed rodents
Many owners tend to treat their pet to something especially tasty: candy, cookies, even ice cream. This is fundamentally the wrong approach! Don’t forget that the diet Guinea pigs should be rigorous, otherwise the animal might get sick. To feeding was correct and complete, remember a few rules:
• In Guinea pigs, two meals a day is too frequent and dense feeding leads to obesity the rodent;
- Watch for portion size – you must give the animal as much feed as he will be able to eat for 2-3 hours. At first it will be difficult to clearly define normal, but after a week you’ll have “the eye” to fill the trough;
- Guinea pigs are herbivores, they love hay, root crops, fruits and vegetables. Of these products and it feeding no sweets and meat pieces;
- It is useful to give your pet fresh weed (it should be slightly dry from the dew). Clover, dandelions, lettuce is a favorite in rodents;
- Guinea pigs love potatoes, carrots, beets. You can give a little of black bread, cabbage, fresh cucumbers and courgettes;
- No feeding should not be without water. Don’t forget to periodically change it for fresh.
In pet stores sell special food – vitamin-mineral mixture. They are certainly useful, however, should clearly follow the instructions. Because an overdose of even the most useful substances does not lead to anything good. By the way, it is possible and in house conditions to prepare a fortified compound, after consulting with the vet. If you properly feed your pet, he will live 8-10 years.
Want increase? Then it will be right to buy the right pair: a boy and a girl. Grow them to the desired age (7-9 months) and you can arrange a wedding night! As soon as you notice that the female began to beat his partner, biting it and select the feed, that means she’s pregnant, and it’s time to transplant the future mother in a separate cage. The duration of pregnancy is 65 days (average).
Born no more than four toddlers. They are born with open eyes, teeth and long hair. The kids are so independent that almost from the first day not only drink their mother’s milk, but with a big appetite eat the usual food. They will not have any trouble Guinea pigs how to care for their children. Do not immediately replant the female back to the “husband.” So you will not have time to blink, as there will be another offspring.
For some reason, many believe that Guinea pigs are boring animals, and they have nothing to do. But it is not so! Furry rodents can make funny sounds, imitate a creaking door. In addition, that Guinea pigs are able to recognize his master, and rejoice at his appearance: they run fast around the cage and even bounce. And Guinea pigs love affection. Take them more often on the hands, ironed, can comb the fur of the animal will be very pleased. They can even play a little pig with pleasure would react to the light teasing.
How to care for a rodent
The contents of a Guinea pig is not without hygienic procedures. These animals are very neat and cleanly: they constantly wash, clean paws and eyes. You will only have to monitor the claws and the time to crop them. This should be done regularly, otherwise the animal can injure itself. If the Guinea pig has long hair, buy a comb with a few teeth, and use it to brush the animal, cleaning out the clumps and matted hair. This procedure should be carried out every three days.
Don’t limit the freedom of a Guinea pig. Though occasionally give her the opportunity to walk through the apartment or the balcony. Before you release a pet, remove all items that he can chew on. Yes, such trips are connected with difficulties, but your pet will be very happy!
As you can see, caring for Guinea pigs is not particularly difficult and does not require large financial investments. This animal will become a family favorite, and your child will be happy, taking part in the life of a little furry friend.