Dandruff in cats – signs and causes
Having lodged in your house the cat, the man resigned himself to the constant concern about this cranky, though quite independent being. But the independence of the cat is relevant only when it comes to decision-making and clarify the headship of man and animal. Here the cat does not recognize the authority. But when the animal suddenly zaneduzhu, assistance looking for the man. However, feline illnesses are not always severe or dangerous. Sometimes the cat stoically tolerate the discomfort and can be cured only its own resources of life.
It often happens that diseases of cats are asymptomatic, but sometimes even the easy and safe of the disease have a very scary signs or not so pleasant symptoms. For example, dandruff of the cat. What it is, as evidenced this phenomenon and how dangerous is it? Let’s face it.
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a phenomenon occurring in all warm-blooded animals (man including). Dandruff is a syndrome, i.e. a collective set of symptoms (visible or tactile signs) with a common mechanism of occurrence and development of disease (pathogenesis). This syndrome is characterized by scaly peeling skin. It happens detached at high speed and for a long time.
Most often dandruff appears on the skin, covered by abundant hair. Why people dandruff occurs on the head and dandruff in cats “favorable” site is mostly back. However, any coated area of the cat’s body also can appear dandruff.
The process of emergence of dandruff following. Skin cells are constantly regenerated, that is, updated: the formation of new and die old. As a rule, dandruff – dead skin flakes – always have animals, but at the normal speed of skin cells renewal of these scales are very few. However, the accelerated replacement cycle of skin cells, animal hair (or human hair) are just littered with these dead flakes. That’s when we see all the signs of dandruff.
Signs of dandruff
Dandruff looks different. Showered with the animal scales can be gray, yellow, brown, white and even black (depending on skin pigmentation). Size of dandruff can also be very, very different. For example, sometimes these scales are more like woken not coat the flour, and sometimes similar to flakes and dandruff on the touch can be dry or greasy. Often matted together, the scales are generally able to form whole layers.
Of dandruff is also different – from a few pieces to unimaginable amounts. And impress dandruff can as the entire surface of the skin of the animal and only some parts. The number of scales can also vary from few pieces to huge numbers. Dandruff may cover the entire surface of the body or only some parts. In the first case we speak of generalized lesions, and the second is localized. In short, the same disease in different animals can cause different dandruff.
But do not think that the accelerated renewal of skin cells and, as a consequence, the emergence of numerous light or dark scales in the wool – the only sign of dandruff in cats. In addition to this symptom symptoms of dandruff may include:
- the layering of the skin and the appearance of her dry thick plaques;
- the anxiety of the animal and frequent and intense scratching.
Unfortunately, these symptoms may be accompanied by different diseases: fungal skin and fur, the animal infected by parasites (fleas, blasedale), dermatitis, allergic reactions. By the way, some diseases can also cause dandruff in cats. And it should be noted that dandruff is most often a direct consequence of any disturbances in the animal body.
Causes of dandruff
Dandruff is the first signal of health problems of the animal or of breaches of hygiene and the rules of detention. Healthy and well-groomed cat has a smooth, shiny and thick hair (if we are not talking about hairless breeds). But even in this state of the coat appeared dander signals the owner that a cat is not all right. Therefore, the pet owner need to find out the cause of its occurrence. And the reasons can be different.
- Skin parasites. To cause dandruff can fleas, lice, mites, Vlady. Therefore, if the reason only in them, it is enough to treat the animal with special drugs, and the problem will disappear. However, eliminating one cause of dandruff, you could cause another allergic reaction.
- Allergies. As a rule, animal allergies are often accompanied by allergic dermatitis. The cause of this disease can be drugs, poor diet and the same parasites.
- Violation of metabolism. Dandruff as a result of accelerated renewal of skin cells, can signal about an incorrect metabolic rate (metabolism). And this, in turn, say, for example, disorders of the endocrine and nervous system.
- Stress, as disruption of the nervous and mental system can also cause dandruff. And stress in cats can cause anything: a change at home, the appearance of a new animal or person, switching to a different food.
- The conditions of detention. For example, too warm and dry air in the apartment. It dries the skin and fur of a cat, causing dandruff.
- Care. Too intensive care or improper care, such as: frequent bathing in chlorinated water, wash improperly chosen shampoo, improper combing of the animal can also become the cause of dandruff in cats.
- Food. First, transfer the cats to a different food can cause stress and dandruff. Secondly, an unbalanced diet causes beriberi (or hypervitaminosis a), metabolic disorders, eating disorders, and as a result, the appearance of dandruff.
So, if your cat or cats have dandruff, be sure to find out why. First of all, inspect the animal in a veterinary clinic. If the examination will show up any diseases, it is possible that their treatment and recuperation of cats will lead to the disappearance of dandruff. But if the animal is healthy, then look for the cause in another. In this case, the most likely cause of dandruff steel stress, poor diet or improper care. And only your attention and participation will help the animal to get rid of this scourge. By itself, dandruff will not pass.